B.E/B.TECH DEGREE EXAMINATION , MAY/JUNE 2012
Electronics and Communication Engineering
CS 2060/CS 807/EC1009 – HIGH SPEED NETWORKS
Time : Three hours Maximum : 100 marks
Answer ALL questions
Part – A (10 X 2 = 20 marks)
2. List the functions provided by AAL ¾ layer.
3. What are the advantages of packet over circuit switching?
4. Why congestion occurs in the networks?
5. What are the types of traffic management?
6. Define exponential RTO back off.
7. Define random early detection.
8. What is meant by FQ?
9. What are the goals of RSVP?
10. Define QOS and give any of its 2 parameters.
PART B – (5 X 16 = 80 marks)
(ii) Explain in detail about fibre channel networks. (8)
(b) (i) Describe in detail about Wifi and WiMax network application and requirements. (8)
(ii) Explain about Gigabit Ethernet in detail with neat diagram. (8)
12. (a) (i) Explain in detail about frame relay congestion control technique. (8)
(ii) Explain about traffic management in packet switching. (8)
(b) (i) Explain in detail about single server queues and its application. (8)
(ii) Describe about effect of congestion. (8)
13. (a) (i) Explain in detail about KARN’s algorithm and window management.(8)
(ii) Explain about network management in detail with neat sketch. (8)
(b) (i) Explain in detail about clock instability and jitter measurements. (10)
(ii) Explain about traffic management framework in detail. (6)
14. (a) Explain in detail about queuing disciplines : BRFQ, WFQ, GPS, and PS.
(b) Explain about integrated service architecture and differentiated services in detail with neat diagram.
15. (a) Explain in detail about RTCP architecture and RIP protocol details.
(b) Discuss about protocols used for QOS support with neat diagram.